Saturday, January 12, 2008

Piecepack

I was looking over the Piecepack today. This is a public domain set of game components. You can download and print your own set, or even purchase a set of them from various companies.

It's not a game in itself, but rather a set of components for which anyone can right a set of rules.

It's made up of Tiles, Tokens, Dice and Coins. These parts come in four suits, Crowns, Moons, Suns and Arms. The Dice, Tiles and coins are numbered NUll,1,2,3,4,5.

There are a lot of games that have been written that use these components. They have even started to make additional Piecepack components, such as cards and cups.

What do I think?

Eh. Not a lot of inspiration in the components themselves. My set are Print and Play and that may be why I find them lacking in inspiration. Perhaps if the Tiles were the same thickness as Carcassonne tiles, and the coins were actually wooden or metal then I would be more inspired.

Basicly I can take or leave the components. I have to hope that the games add a lot, as the bits come out pretty poor. I do a lot of Print and Play games and I think its that these bits lack the "theme" that I usually find in the printed games.

I have a bunch of rules sets that use these bits and I'm going to try many of them, so only the future can tell if this is going to be hit or miss.

No comments: