Saturday, May 13, 2023

"Trail of the Behemoth"

Trail of the Behemoth is an RPG fills a void that I'd pondered filling myself. In fact I'd even started making notes in preparation to writing into this gap in the RPG market. I put those notes aside to work on other products. And now, I don't have to write a "Monster Hunter" RPG as Dan Felder has done a wonderful job.

The game has some really neat tricks. Its a D6-only system which I love, and the monster...is the map! What a cool idea. Another cool feature is that at 0 Health you can choose to flee or stay, If you stay you get half your Health back...but if you hit zero again you die.

The two PDF set comes as a 15 page player-manual, and 50ish page referees manual that gives you guidance on how to structure the between-fight phase, how to build big bad boss monsters to be defeated, and a hint or two on campaign play.

The game is almost entirely boss-monster-fighting, with the between-fight segments being very limited from a mechanical viewpoint. Indeed, your characters are really only defined in terms of fighting ability, there are not the 6-stats you might see in an OSR game, nor any armor-class or to-hit charts, and no long list of skills. Money? That's for lesser games! This game is mechanically bare bones. 

Your character will start with a kick-ass weapon, maybe a one-shot spell, special class ability, and a trinket that gives you something special, and a limited Health.

If you survive a fight you get to take powerful loot (body parts) from the monster and use them in future fights or burn them for XP. And that XP can get you some more class based abilities.

I'm really looking forward getting this game to the table. The theme excites me, the art inspires me,



No comments: