Friday, September 02, 2022

Prices of PDF

Oh my, I am shocked at the prices I see on some PDFs from DriveThruRPG. Not pleasantly surprised.

I know this is a personal thing born of a lifetime of never having spare cash but I am often appalled when I see the prices of some PDFs. Appalled for my wallet, that is. The worst part of it, is that it seems to always be the RPGs I want that are priced like this.

That's market forces I guess, those publishing these games know I want what they've got. Yet I feel that this is more than just that my inner Scrooge, I feel its a value for money thing too!

£25 for an Rpg PDF (such as the Traveller High Guard book from Mongoose) seems way too much. In fact I baulk at a purchase for a PDF if it goes over £8.99 that's the limit that my Scrooge wants to impose. I have no real idea why that's the number, it just is.

I understand the increased costs of physical media, but I just can't mentally  agree to the increased prices for a digital product that has no ongoing overhead (speaking as someone who sells digital goods). Sure I know art, editing, layout all costs. I know there's a big cost to be recovered from creating a big flashy game, even if its only in PDF. But that IS a one time cost that will get covered by ongoing sales over time.

So to sum up my argument: Whaaaaaa its not fair, I don't got that kinda money. Wahhaaaaaaa!


No comments: