Sunday, September 11, 2022

Nerin and Wizard between missions

 This is an update on my current solo Scarlet Heroes campaign. I have two characters , Nerin and an unnamed Wizard (unnamed because its only level 1 and not worth the effort of getting a name), have bee through a dungeon and brought back some hundreds of gold coins. It occurred to me that if want to take these two out on another adventure, they can be carrying around all these hundreds of coins. If they go into the dungeon carrying them that'll reduce how much they carry out, so less loot!

What do they do with the coins while they go adventuring? They could just find a lonely spot and bury them, but that's hardly secure. So I decided they needed a base of some sort. The two characters only had a couple of hundred gp each so buying a castle was out of their reach. In the end I opted to rent a room for a couple of weeks and pick up a lockable chest. 

But who looks after the chest while they are away? So then I recruited a retainer, dropping this new guy 10 gp a week until we get some booty at which point he'll get a promise of 15% of Nerin's future hauls. This new recruit  also got outfitted with Hand axe, chin armour, shield, short bow and arrows. As Nerin is level 2 that means his retainer is half his level and therefore is promoted above "Normal Man" to level 1.

Considering that I don't name level 1 characters as they are so disposable, BUT I'm going to name this retainer. I'm doing this as I don't plan to take him on any missions. His job, for now, is just to look after the heroes gear, and have sandwiches ready when they get back from the job.

I'm now diving into UNE The Universal NPC Emulator to pad out the Retainer. A roll of 49 on the "Modifier" table tells me that the retainer is "scholarly" and for table 2 I roll 88 which is "professor". Serendipity, a jobless teacher! 

Now motivation, on table 3 we get "access" and on table 4 we get "service", so our guy is looking for a position of scholarly servitude. This could be great. I can see him running the "house" and using Wizard's library for research. Sure I've given him weapons, but this weedy guy's strength is brain work not swords. I like it. Table 8 Focus, and I roll 60 which is "antagonist", but you know what, if I nudge the dice to 61 it becomes "knowledge" which is much better for how I see this going.

A quick dive into an online name generator and I've named this guy "Lufar Hollie"

Name: Lufar Hollie

Focus: Knowledge

Motivation: Access Service

Modifier: Scholarly Professor

So there's our brand new retainer. 


No comments: