Saturday, August 20, 2022

Fancy Dice

 No. Just don't do it!

It seems that every time I hit up Amazon I get adverts or suggestions for "fancy" dice, especially  "Lovecraftian" dice. No doubt the Lovecraft shenanigans is because of my podcast, but it really gets my goat because they are the worst example of dice.

These disgusting dice show the numbers of the faces, sure,  but then do everything with colour and engraved scrollwork to make the dice actually unusable. If you get up close and turn the die round you can even sometimes see what the number is! Cool eh?

No.

As fun to own and show your friends as these fancy dice are they are absolutely awful at the table. When you're roleplaying the dice are there to resolve a question and get the hell outta the way. When some doofus rolls up with his bag of exquisite accurate engraved, multicoloured boulders I know we're in for a session where squinting at dice is going to destroy the ebb and flow of the game.

I'm not a complete Neanderthal when it comes to dice. I don't demand that D6's have pips, I'm even okay with dice having some translucency. But they MUST be legible by people sitting across from you.

There's one more thing. D100. No. Throw that ball of shite in the bin and never let me see it again. Keep your "funny fancy" dice at home.

No comments: